Monday, January 2, 2012

Welcome to my brew journal

As if I needed another blog...

Actually, this is probably the best platform I know of for keeping track of my brewing. And I have been doing quite a bit of it lately, starting in October.

Let me back track a bit. I have been home brewing, on and off, since the early '90s when it was beginning to be popular. It had been more off than on lately, especially when our shallow well quit working and we had to dig a new well and the water had a ridiculously high iron content. We now have a filter and our water is some of the best stuff around. With the good water supply, I started thinking about brewing again. It only makes sense because I love beer, I want to reduce my beer-related expenses (home brew costs about $3 less per six pack of premium stuff, like Summit or Sierra Nevada), and I don't like the idea of all those single use brown glass bottles. So this will primarily be my personal record of brewing, although if any home brewers stumble upon this site and want to start a conversation in the comments, I would welcome that!

And of course, the name. Sixteen Pound Siamese Brewery is a fun name I came up with to describe my occupation on Facebook. It is based on Frisky, my Siamese cat, who weighs...sixteen pounds. More or less. As Garrison Keillor would say, he's a good heater cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment